If you want to add texture to your healthy kitchen, why not use poppy seed?
Poppy seeds have a soft, neutral taste, which means that they fit almost any dish, but add a pleasant crunch to salads, yogurt and baked goods.
Moreover, they give your food more nutrients, because the seeds are an important source of essential minerals. Add poppy seeds to different dishes to improve your health.
Papaver seed is an oil seed obtained from the poppy (Papaver somniferum). The tiny poppy seed is cited in ancient medical texts from many nations.
3,300 poppy seeds are needed to make a gram, and a pound contains between 1 and 2 million seeds. Poppy seeds are broadly used in Austrian, Indian, Croatian, Lithuanian, Polish, Hungarian, Czech, German, Romanian, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Turkish and Ukrainian cuisines.
Basic poppy seed nutrition
Like most nuts and seeds, poppy seeds are a moderate source of calories.
A portion of 2 tablespoon has just over 90 calories, or only a dash of 5 percent of your calorie budget in a 2000 calorie diet.
Most of those calories come from the 7 grams of fat from the seeds – which consists mainly of healthy unsaturated fatty acids.
But you also get a small amount of protein – 3 grams per serving – and 5 grams of carbohydrates, 3.5 grams of bowel-friendly dietary fiber.
Types of Poppy Seed
Poppy seeds (scientifically called Papaver somniferum) are widely used in many countries, especially in Central Europe, where they are grown and sold in stores.
They are used (both on the whole and on the ground) as an ingredient in different dishes. They are also pressed to obtain poppy seed oil.
There are different types of poppy seeds. Some popular types are:
Oriental poppy seeds – also called papaver poppy, this produces opium and is grown for commercial purposes.
White poppy seeds are also included in the respective kitchens.
Blue poppy seeds – also called European poppy seeds – they are usually seen on Western breads and sweets.breads and sweets.
That’s about poppy seed. A short one. But what is so good about it that we discuss it so often?poppy seed. A short one. But what is so good about it that we discuss it so often?
Are poppy seeds good for you?
They certainly are.
The most vital benefit of poppy seeds is the avoidance of heart disease. The seeds contain linoleic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid that is necessary for the health of the heart.
Keep in mind that too much omega-6 fatty acids can damage your health. That is why balance is crucial.
And the iron and phosphorus in the seeds maintain the health of the bones. The two minerals are essential for the maintenance of the bones and muscles.
Papaver seed also contains calcium and magnesium that regulates brain activity and helps in the development of neurons. The seeds can also treat insomnia.
There are so many other benefits that these seeds offer. But before we get there, we want you to take a look at the history of poppy seeds.
What are the health benefits of poppy seeds?
Poppy seeds have a wide range of benefits – they act as a remedy for insomnia and canker sores and improve digestion.
The seeds improve female fertility even to a large extent and can also help in the prevention of cancer.
Poppy Seeds Improve female fertility
Studies have shown that flushing of the fallopian tubes with poppyseed oil can increase fertility.
Researchers take a chance that the oil can dissolve any debris or mucus in the tubes and increase the chances of fertility.
The technique, also called hysterosalpingography, allowed 40 percent of infertile women in the test group to achieve successful pregnancies.
Not only that, 29 percent of the infertile women in the group who had given their fallopian tubes with poppy seed water achieved successful pregnancies.
Poppy Seeds Helps on Insomnia
According to a study, consuming a drink with poppy seed reduced the levels of cortisol in the body. This led to a calming effect because the stress levels eventually decreased.
More interesting is that the circadian rhythms showed a market improvement among the subjects. The individuals also felt less tired.
Poppy seed is known to be effective in inducing towing. But be careful when you give it to children. Consult your doctor before doing this.
You can also take poppy seed tea before you go to bed to enjoy a better night’s sleep. Just make a paste of poppy seeds and mix with hot milk.
Take it before bedtime. One cup of poppy seed tea would succeed.
Poppy Seeds Boost Energy
This characteristic of the seeds can be attributed to their high content or complex carbohydrates – the macro nutrients that your body needs for energy.macro nutrients that your body needs for energy.
The seeds also help absorb calcium, which can lead to fatigue.
Poppy Seeds Improve the health of the brain
The brain needs essential nutrients such as calcium, iron and copper minerals. These minerals help regulate neurotransmitters and improve brain function.
Poppy seeds may also reduce the risk of cognitive disorders. In this respect, further research is ongoing.
Poppy Seeds Boost the immune system
The zinc in poppy seeds can contribute to an enhanced immune system. The seeds also improve the production of immune cells in the body. And the iron in the seeds also helps in this aspect.
The zinc in the seeds also helps prevent lower respiratory ailments.
Poppy Seeds Help with diabetes treatment
Since poppy seed contains a lot of fiber, they can have a preference as a supplement to a diabetic diet. And the manganese in the seeds can also help in the treatment of diabetes.
However, we have more research in this aspect. Consult your doctor before taking poppy seeds for this purpose.
Poppy Seeds Helps to Prevent Cancer
According to a report published in TIME Magazine , the genes of opium poppies have shown great promise in the development of a cancer drug.
The medicine noscapine (produced from the derivatives of the poppy bulbs) was found to fight tumors and even to reduce breast and prostate cancer cells. It can also stop the proliferation of cancer cells.
According to another Indian study , poppy seed can increase the activity of a carcinogen-detoxifying enzyme called glutathione-S-transferase (GST) by up to 78%.
This activity of poppy seed, according to the study, is high enough to consider the food as potent for the treatment of cancer.
It is said that the tincture of the poppy plant treats cancer ulcers.
Poppy Seeds Help to treat kidney stones
Poppy seeds contain potassium, and minerals known as protect against and even treat kidney stones.
According to a report from the University of Maryland Medical Center, individuals with hyperoxaluria (an excessive urinary excretion of oxalate that increases the risk of calcium oxalate kidney) should limit the amount of poppy seed in their diet – because the seeds are high in oxalic acid .an excessive urinary excretion of oxalate that increases the risk of calcium oxalate kidney) should limit the amount of poppy seed in their diet – because the seeds are high in oxalic acid.
Poppy Seeds Treat eczema and inflammation
Papaver seed is effective in the treatment of eczema due to the high content of linolenic acid. Poppy seed can be ground into water or milk, along with lime juice, into a smooth paste.
Applying this paste externally helps to treat burns and itching in the skin. It also works as an effective painkiller by relieving the pain by relieving skin inflammation.
Poppy Seeds Help to deal with dandruff
Dandruff is a common problem that, if left untreated, can lead to hair loss. For the treatment of rose you can apply mixture of soaked poppy seeds, curds and teaspoon or white pepper to the scalp.rose you can apply a mixture of soaked poppy seeds, curds and a teaspoon of white pepper to the scalp.
Let the mixture stand for half an hour and then rinse. Regular use of this package will significantly reduce the return of dandruff.
EASY WAY TO OBTAIN THIS BENEFITS
California Poppy Seed Vegetarian Capsules is a helpful supplement from HAWAII PHARM which provides all the benefits of poppy seed.
This type of poppy is the state flower of California and has been used in traditional herbal practices for centuries. Grab a copy here
How to select and store Poppy Seeds
A good selection of food is vital, especially in the current scenario when food forgery is a very common phenomenon.
As far as poppy seeds are concerned, different varieties are available that vary in color from gray to beige, light gray to dark gray, black or bluish, depending on the cultivar type.
The European variety is dark gray, the Indian variety is ivory to beige, while the Turkish variety is tobacco brown.
Papaver seed is available in both fresh and ground forms. They have a high content of polyunsaturated fats and are vulnerable to oxidation.
That is why they can easily become rancid. Make sure you buy whole quality seeds in an authentic store to make sure they are fresh. They must be small and light.
The best way to large poppy seeds is to store them in an airtight container in a cool, dry and dark place. These can stay fresh for up to 6 months. They must be kept away from moisture.
So how do you use these seeds?
Tips for using / cooking poppy seeds?
Tips for using Poppy Seeds
- Poppy seeds are used in different cultures to give their rich flavor to the recipes.
- Clean the seeds well before using them to remove stones.
- They should be in hot water or milk for 2 hours.
- Drain and let them dry.
- These seeds can only be used with other herbs to thicken gravy or curries.
Poppy seeds are tasteless, but when heated they get a nutty, spicy, sweet taste. Roasting or baking makes them soft and sweet, while frying releases special aromatic oils, making them crisper.
Tips for cooking with poppy seeds (or use them in recipes)
- Roasted poppy seeds are often used for garnish bread, rolls, ground in sauces and pastries, or to be added to vegetables and salad dressings. They are widely used in Turkish cuisine. To roast the seeds, place them in a small dry frying pan and heat them over medium heat, stirring constantly for about 2 to 3 minutes until they become fragrant.
- Poppy seed is often added to buttered egg noodles, fruit salad dressing and yeast breads. Their nutty flavor and texture make them useful in bread, pastries, cakes, curries, confectionery and pancakes.
- White poppy seeds are called posto in West Bengal and Bangladesh. These seeds are used as the main ingredient in popular Bengali dishes such as Aloo Posto, Chachuri and Postor Bora. Aloo Posto is prepared by cooking a large quantity of ground poppy seed with potatoes for a rich, creamy texture. Potatoes can also be replaced with onions, nib gourds, chicken or shrimps.
- Gasase Payase is a popular dish in Karnataka. It is actually a liquid dessert prepared with white poppy seeds, cane sugar, coconut and milk.
- Maharashtra poppy seeds are used to garnish a special candy called anarsa, which is prepared during Diwali.
- Poppies made from powdered poppy seeds are often grilled or baked. A rice dish can be prepared by simply mixing uncooked ground poppy seeds with mustard oil, chopped green chillies and rice.
- Poppy seeds cooked with cane sugar and coconut wrapped in a pastry case and deep-fried to prepare a delicious sweet called karanji.
- In Andhra Pradesh, white poppy seed is used to prepare a masala that is used to prepare exotic dishes with chicken, meat and vegetables.
- In Austria and Hungary, poppy seeds are used in the preparation of popular sweet pastries such as Strudel and Germknödel.
- It is difficult to gravel poppy seeds. A special poppy seed grinder is used for this. But if you do not have it, you can first roast the seeds lightly with a mortar and pestle. These seeds can be used in the whole form or crushed. If you use them in uncooked foods such as salads, it’s advisable to roast them lightly, as this improves their taste and aroma.
- Ground poppy seed is widely used in pastries. Before being used in cakes, they must be searched in boiling water for 1 to 3 hours before being ground.
- These seeds are best when they are sprinkled over naan bread and cooked in a clay oven called tandoor.